This past weekend we kicked off a new series called The Blessed Life. Basically, everyone wants to be blessed. Everyone wants good things to happen in their life.
Being blessed does not happen by chance. It is not affected by the alignment of the planets. It has nothing to do with Karma. The sheer idea of being blessed infers that there is a Blessor! There is someone out there who can divinely favor our lives.
As we began this series, I talked about the Principle of the First. We all want to be first. That’s why we have sports today. Competition is all about being first. Understand this, God wants to be first. He wants to know that He is first in your life.
The Principle of the First runs throughout the Bible.
- Abel gave the big portions of the firstborn of his flocks to God and experienced God’s favor. Cain did not. (Gen 4)
- God destroyed every firstborn male in the land of Egypt. (Ex 12)
- God told Israel to consecrate the “firstborn” male of every woman or animal, because it belongs to Him. (Ex 13:1-3)
- God said, “Bring the first (best) of the firstfruits of the soil to the house of the Lord your God.” (Ex 23:19)
- God said a “tithe” of everything belongs to Him. That’s the first tenth of our increase. (Lev 27:30)
- Jesus said, “Seek FIRST his Kingdom and righteousness and all these things will be added unto you.” (Matt 6:33)
- Jesus said, “The first and greatest commandment was to Love the Lord your God…” (Matt 22:37)
- Jesus is the “firstborn over all creation” (Col 1:15)
- We love because He first loved us. (1 John 4:19)
- Jesus said, “I am the First and the Last.” (Rev 1:17)
The essence of this truth is that if we put God FIRST in any area of our lives, He will bless it. If you want to see your finances blessed, put God first with the tithe. If you want to see God bless your work week, make worshiping Him on the first day of the week a priority. If you want to know God better, give Him the first part of your day.
God wants to be first and honestly…He deserves it!