This past weekend we kicked off our new series Code of Honor. I am pretty passionate about this topic because I believe the church needs to lead the way in honor. It’s time to bring it back!! As well, we took a moment to honor a special mom this Mother’s Day Weekend!
Here are some highlights from the message:
- Some things come back around that shouldn’t – like bell bottoms.
- Honor is one of those things that I believe we (the Church) need to bring back!
- There is so much dishonor in our culture today. Many don’t honor those in authority over them. Many kids today dishonor their parents. Spouses dishonor their covenant in marriage.
- We must realize it is an honor to serve Christ, follow Him, and be part of the Church He died for.
- Our working definition for honor: to hold in high regard or to place a high value on.
- In Luke 14, Jesus taught that we can’t honor ourselves. That honor is given not taken.
- Honor is not how you value yourself, but how others value you.
- In Matthew 20, Jesus told his followers that if they want to be great they must serve! That is so counter-cultural today.
- We place a higher honor on professions that make lots of money and less honor on the service industry. (Because we pay them so little.)
- Jesus was often teaching that in God’s economy, the things we value (honor) are not what God honors.
- Instead, Jesus taught in Luke 14 that we are to take the lowest position and ultimately let others honor us!
- Humility always precedes honor.
- Humility is not how others view you, but how you view yourself. (See Luke 18:9-14)
- To me honor is so important because how we live reflects the God we follow.
- God is a God of honor. He does not force himself on anyone. He just humbled Himself and went to the cross. (Philippians 2:5-11)
Over the next few weeks we are going to get very practical about how we can live with honor. I sure hope you’ll check-in for every week of this series.