This past weekend we continued our series Code of Honor talking about bringing Honor back to the Church. Of all the messages on this topic, I’m most passionate about this one. Here are some of the highlights:
- Before we can expect a godless culture to act with honor, the Church must act with honor.
- Every time we hear about another pastor having an affair or someone swindling money from the Church it gives us another black-eye.
- Perhaps we need to see the Church as Jesus does…as His Bride. (Eph 5:22-32)
- We dishonor the Church when we COMPETE with other churches rather than COMPLETE each other! (props to C. Groeshel for that phrase.)
- This spirit of competition brings division to the ONE body of Christ.
- Sometimes we take it another step further when we dis another church or pastor because they are different.
- I learned a long time ago: “Don’t knock what God might be blessing.” Great advice.
- One of the ways we dishonor the people who give their time and hearts to the church is when we complain about the church rather than serve it.
- The Church is full of side-line referees who never get into the game, but know how to call fouls.
- When you do that, you’re just like the Pharisees in Luke 11:46. Ouch!
- We also dishonor the Church when we do not honor those God puts over us.
- The Bible calls us to show double honor to those in places of spiritual authority. (1 Tim 5:17)
- The reason we are to do this is because those who lead are held to a higher standard before God. Therefore they deserve more honor! (James 3:1)
- Perhaps the greatest way we dishonor the Church is when we claim to be part of it but live as though it doesn’t matter!!
- Hypocrisy is probably the number 1 reason the Church has not been as effective as it could be.
- Jesus quoted Isaiah 29:13 when talking about this very issue. Do we honor God with our mouths and live like hell during the week?
- We must realize when we say we’re part of a church, everything we do reflects Jesus, the Church, the pastor and everyone who is part of it!!
- The reason HONOR is so important to me in the church is because many of us are giving our lives to serve the local church.
- We do that because we believe the Church is the HOPE of the world.
I am very passionate about the local church. I love our church and want to see us live with honor and lead with honor. I am proud of this church and our staff and you should be as well.
Join us next week as we wrap up this series for a special Memorial Day experience.