This past weekend we continued our series on the Supernatural. I talked about a supernatural part of God that is possibly one of the more mysterious sides of Him as well – the Holy Spirit. This message may have been too simple for some “experienced” Christians, but I have found that MANY in our church don’t know much about the Holy Spirit and His role in our lives. Here are some of the highlights of this message:
- I believe some people ignore the Holy Spirit because they don’t understand Him while others obsess on how the Holy Spirit makes them feel rather than focus on Jesus. Depending on how you grew up that statement might have offended you!
- The Holy Spirit is not some Jedi force that Christians can somehow master with lots of exposure and training. The Holy Spirit is a very personal part of God.
- Some people believe you can be saved AND then you need to receive the Holy Spirit. Problem is this doesn’t fit with Scripture. (Titus 3:5) or (John 3:5)
- The reason why we all turn to God either through an invitation or because we just get this feeling that we need to go to church is because of the Holy Spirit. (John 6:44)
- The Holy Spirit does actually speak to us. I hear Him most often when I’m reading the Bible or listening to God’s Word preached. He makes it personal to me!
- Jesus does not expect you to tell others about Him on your own. He gives you the boldness and words by the HS in you. (Acts 1:8)
- I believe many in the church feel ordinary. This might be because many have not begun to discover the supernatural gift(s) the HS gives to them. (1 Cor 12:7-11)
- How do you discover your gift(s)? Begin to serve. Just be willing to do anything and you’ll discover what He gifted you to do!
- I didn’t get to touch too much on the gifts for sake of time. Maybe in another series we’ll hit on them.
- The reason so many Christians feel powerless or unable to do greatness for God is because they have not allowed the Holy Spirit to FILL every part of their life! The moment you start letting Him control every part that is when you truly begin to be led by Him.
I gave an opportunity for people to embrace salvation through Christ, trusting that the Holy Spirit was going to lead them to make that decision. Several did. Here’s a response we received from a first time guest who stepped across the line Sunday. This is why we do church Crossroads!!
I equally love the music and Pastor Tim’s message. My friend and I are used to the Catholic church. The lights, smoke, the music and the energy was amazing! The words on the screen made it easy to sing along! I instantly knew it was different but it felt right to me. The music brought tears to my eyes! Pastor Tim’s message about the Holy Spirit was presented in a way I could relate. I’m embarrassed to admit I do not own a Bible so the scripture on the screen was extremely helpful! At the end of the message I shut my eyes and prayed with Pastor Tim. I raised my hand and committed my life to Jesus. I felt like I surrendered and finally realized I can’t go through this life on my own. Since my eyes were closed, I didn’t realize my friend also had her hand raised and felt the same. It was an amazing feeling! I’m still glowing!