This past weekend we kicked off our Series Good Intentions talking about the Battle for your Mind. The reason so many of the good things we want to do never happen is because they are defeated in our thought life. Our spiritual enemy lies to us to keep us locked up with fear and insecurity when God has called us to step out in faith.
We must realize that God has given us the power to overcome the lies of our enemy. We can do this by taking every thought captive and making it obedient to Christ (2 Cor 10:5.) I truly believe that we can renew our thought life by filling it with faith-filled thoughts! Romans 10:17 says that “Faith comes from hearing the word of Christ.” If we only could get into our spirit what is true about us through Christ, I believe it would change the way we live. Our Good Intentions would turn into Obedient Actions.
I want to challenge you to begin a new discipline with me this year. It’s something I got from Pastor Craig Groeschel that he calls, “Words to Live By.” First, take some time to ask, “What negative thoughts are dominating my thinking?” Take a day or two to think about any insecurities, fears or defeating thoughts that are keeping you from doing what God created you to do. This might include some dreams in your life that you have given up on because you are afraid to take the first step. Write these negative thoughts down.
Now, ask yourself this question, “What spiritual truth will demolish these lies?” What has God said about you through His Word that flies directly in the face of the lies you were believing? Here are just a few.
- I do not have a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind. (2 Tim 1:7)
- I was created by God for great things – which he prepared in advance for me to do. (Eph 2:10)
- I am a child of God. God loves me just as I am. (Jn 1:12)
- I have the Power of God in me for everything I need for life and godliness. (2 Pet 1:3)
Once you write down the truth in response to the negative thoughts that are dominating your mind, begin saying them out loud every day. Make these declarations your faith-filled thoughts every morning. As you begin to say them every day, it will begin to reshape your thought life. Your faith will grow with each passing day as you declare and receive these truths in your mind. (Romans 12:2)
If we are going to turn our good intentions into obedient actions, we must first deal with the battle for our mind. This is the first step toward fulfilling the calling that God has on your life. Begin to make this part of your daily time with God and see what happens in 2017.
Here are My Words to Live By that I shared this past weekend:
- I am a loving father who cares deeply for my family and will demonstrate my love to them just as my Heavenly Father did by sending His Son for me.
- I am not just raising daughters, I am raising strong, gifted young women who were created to impact the world for Christ.
- I will sacrifice my life so that I can serve them as the leader of this family.
- I will be the father and husband that my family needs to reach their fullest potential in Christ.
- I will walk by the Spirit today, because God’s Spirit is strong within me. The things of this world do not have a hold on me, because this world is not my home.
- I will not compromise my purpose or my future for anything self-serving.
- I set my eyes, my heart, my mind, my hands and feet on things above so that I may glorify God in everything I do.
- God has put within me everything I need to be the kind of pastor and leader my church needs.
- I am a compassionate and godly leader who lives to serve others.
- I will live my life in a manner that is worthy of the calling God has placed on me.
- I am more than enough because Christ is within me. Building the Church is His idea, not mine. This vision is from Him and He who is faithful to start it will also bring it to completion.
- I am anointed, empowered, equipped and gifted to preach God’s Word. In my weakness, Christ’s strength is made perfect. It is not my words that change lives, it is the Power of God speaking His Word through me that will alter destinies and change eternities.
- I will live my life to glorify God in everything I do today.
Here’s a resource to help you develop your own Words to Live By.
My Good Intentions message will be posted by Tuesday if you missed it.