I can hardly contain myself. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. All of a sudden, I’m so excited for…EASTER!! I’m not saying that because I’m a pastor. It has nothing to do with our church services either. I’m just excited to gather with thousands of Christians and declare that Jesus is Alive!
As excited as I feel right now, I can’t help but think, for most people, Easter is going to be just another day. It will be just one of the days that many feel they have to go to church. After all it’s Easter. What good God-fearing Christian wouldn’t go to church on Easter? I wonder how many people will be more excited about the meal they are going to eat than the thought of going to church to celebrate Easter? How many people will go to church expecting a nice Easter service rather than overwhelming joy for what we are celebrating?
If you aren’t excited about Easter, then maybe you forgot…
- How many times you have failed God.
- How many times you have sinned against your spouse.
- How many times you have hurt your parents.
- How many times you have let down your kids.
- How many times you have betrayed a friend.
- How many times you have held unforgiveness in your heart.
- How many times you have thought evil thoughts against your brother.
- How many times you have promised God you’d do better and then didn’t.
- How many times you have given your word and not followed through.
- How many times you have gone back to that addiction you can’t break away from.
- How many times you were ready to give up and then didn’t, because God rescued you.
- How many times you felt alone, when God showed you that you weren’t.
- How many times you failed God, only to experience His forgiveness.
- How many times you felt so worthless, and then God showed you His grace.
- How many times you prayed for a second chance, and God gave it to you!
As you read through this list, you’ll know exactly why I am excited for this weekend. When I think about how hopeless I am on my own, and yet how much hope I have today – it’s only because of one thing.
MY GOD IS NOT DEAD – HE IS ALIVE!